Re: [users@httpd] apache 2 webserver tuning

It was thus said that the Great Joel Mandapat once stated:
> Hi Joshua,
> Thanks for ur reply.
>
> The projection of the number of users of the php application is around
> 10K users.
> I'm just wondering if tweaking of apache can help  me achieve those
> numbers of users.

  It's not users per se, but simultaneous number of connections.  For
instance, 10,000 requests (for a single resource, a single GET) per day is
easily handled by just about any webserver (one request per 8 seonds).
10,000 requests per hour (a bit under 3 per second) sounds doable on a run
of the mill server.

  By the time you get to 10,000 requests per minute (or 167 per second)
*now* you're in the realm of performance tuning and a careful analysis if
what you are trying to do.  10,000 requests *per second* is a whole other
ballgame (at this point, you've outstripped the capacity of two T-1s and I
doubt you'll even be able to use Apache at this point [1]).  But note what I
said:  10,000 simultaneous connections (that is, 10,000 active TCP/IP
connections [2]).

  Now, you may have 10k users, but if only a few hundred are making requests
*at any one time* then there's probably not much to worry about.

  -spc (But, you might want to read up on what a few other sites have done
	[3])

[1]	Read http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html and if you don't understand it,
	then you're probably in over your head.

[2]	If you don't understand this, then you're probably in over your
	head.

[3]	Such as LiveJournal, Slashdot, kuro5hin, Google ...