Re: [users@httpd] Is possible to redistribute apache 2 binary to different server within installing in different location for Unix?

Hi Tony,

On Nov 10, 2006, at 11:09 AM, Fan, Tony wrote:

I compiled Apache 2 in Unix (Solaris and AIX) without any problem with prefix /usr/local/, is possible I can move my apache binary to different system and install it to /opt directory?

This is not always straightforward. First and easiest, the httpd binary expects certain configuration files and log/content directories to be in certain locations. You can modify its behaviour by specifying the -f and/or -d flags on the command line.

Secondly, httpd links against numerous dynamic libraries, most notably libapr.so. These are installed in the lib subdirectory and will move with your installation. However, on most operating systems the full path to the library is hardcoded into the binary, and the dynamic linker will not be looking in the new installation directory.

You may be able to fix the latter problem using the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

S.

--
sctemme@xxxxxxxxxx            http://www.temme.net/sander/