Re: [users@httpd] How to populate webspace

On 11/5/2006 at 10:11 PM Viitasaari wrote:

>Hi...I am a newbie at this forum so my question may be obvious to many
>of you.
>
>I have Apache, FTP and Telnet working on my Fedora 5 box.  Currently,
>the only user on the box is root.
>
>What I would like to do next is set it up so that the webmaster can
>populate the webspace using ftp.

This is more of a Unix question, but you need to create a user for your
FTP software that is webmaster, webguy, webwhatever and then allow
that user to put files into the directory that you set up for Apache to
look to for HTML files.

Apache does not care much about this, it just looks into the space that
you allow it to.

I would not use telnet, that is really not very secure.  If this in an "Internal" network,
maybe.  Otherwise I would a SSH, or something that Sftp that is secure.