Re: [users@httpd] Namebased Virtual Hosts

On 10/17/06, Gregor Schneider <rc46fi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So what is the best practise to specify this NameVirtualHost-directive?  In
any file which contains the VirtualHost-directive (meaning one will contain
it, the others not? Or in httpd.conf?)

Makes no difference.  I'd use httpd.conf.  (Actually, I would put
EVERYTHING in httpd.conf unless you have a really complex config.  I
don't see the point of a bunch of tiny config files.)

> And in addition, your second and third ssl sites are not going to work
> properly.  You can only have one ssl site on each IP-address/port
> combination because the SSL certificate is selected before the
> hostname is known.

Well, what  is going to happen  if I do specify more than one SSL-site per
IP/port-pair? Do I just get the message that the cert is invalid (I could
pretty much live with that)?

Yes, you will have an invalid cert.  But note that SSL with an invalid
cert is no more secure than ordinary HTTP.  So this may be okay for
testing, but it doesn't provide any real security.

Joshua.