Re: [users@httpd] Two Nics, several ips aliased to each one

On Sep 26, 2006, at 11:34 PM, Boyle Owen wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: jekillen [mailto:jekillen@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7:17 AM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [users@httpd] Two Nics, several ips aliased to each one

Hello Apache list;
I have a server running FreeBSD 6.0 RELEASE  with Apache 1.3.34.
I have two network interface cards. I have Three static public IP's
assigned to one interface card  and three internal IP's assigned to
the other interface. I want to do IP based hosting. I got as far as
a warning message informing me that Apache could not resolve one
of the internal IP addresses. My plan is to have internal
access to the
virtual hosts as well as external access to the hosts from a dev/admin
machine.
The question is:
In this situation is Apache looking for  dns records for the internal
addresses, or would there be other reasons for the warning?

Apache tries to get a domain-name for all listened IP addresses at
startup (eg, for self-referential URLs). if any fail to resolve, you get
the warning. Just make sure all IPs resolve on the server (see
/etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf etc..), use nslookup to confirm/test.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle
Thanks for the reply, I can't use the private IP addresses in public
DNS records, I don't think, particularly when they reference the same host.
So would I use. Seems to me I've seen a DNS setup called a split server
where one resolves internal addresses and the other resolvers external addresses. But etc/host would work on the internal network? This is somewhat confusing to
me. Time to go back and study the networking stuff.
Jeff K.

As It stands now I have three sites served on this machine and
all three of each group of addresses brings up one of the sites.

I am having more trouble with this (virtual host setup) for some
reason, than setting up my DNS records and configuration.

I have a copy of Apache the Definitive Guide published by O'Reilly,
as well as other books and subscriptions to other tech lists but can't
seem to get a handle on this.
Thanks in advance for knowledgeable responses.
Jeff K.
jekillen@xxxxxxxxxxx
try
www.brushandbard.com
www.serioussite,com
www.jekillen.com
They will all bring up
www.brushandbard.com
I do not presently have enough business
to call myself a business, let alone get professional help
at a professional price.
JK

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.