Re: [users@httpd] Using relative paths in <Directory>

On 9/24/06, Steve Swift <steve.j.swift@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you want relative to the Document Root then consider using <Location>

On 24/09/06, Vinay Y S <vinay.ys@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to use relative paths in <Directory "relative/path/here"> and
> all other places wherever paths are required; and change only the
> ServerRoot and DocumentRoot based on where my server is installed. I
> want to know if this path is relative to DocumentRoot or ServerRoot.
> What I have observed till now is that it isn't relative to either of
> them. It is relative to the current working directory of the
> httpd process. Please confirm if this correct.
>
> When apache is run as a Windows service, what would be its current
> working directory?

That isn't really a great suggestion for security reasons.  <Location>
should not be used for file-system locations, because it can be
circumvented.

This sounds like a problem that could best be solved with mod_macro,
mod_define, or similar config-processing module (or a config
pre-processor).  I haven't checked the code to see exactly how
relatively <Directory> sections are handled, but it is not something I
would recommend.

Joshua.