Re: [users@httpd] Re: Preventing mod_deflate dechunking of dynamic content

On 9/19/06, Manuel Lemos <mlemos@xxxxxxx> wrote:
What I really need is to be able to force chunked response only on
specific requests to PHP scripts.

If it is not possible or desirable to serve compressed chunked

I know how to disable mod_gzip/mod_deflate for specific URI. However,
that is not what I want because I need to serve chunked responses or not
for requests to the same URI, depending on conditions evaluated
dynamically by the PHP scripts.

So, my doubt is: how can I configure Apache to return a response that
may trigger chunking/compression or not that mod_gzip/mod_deflate performs ?

I though of returning a custom header like "x-dechunk: no" from the PHP
script response. But how can I configure Apache with
mod_gzip/mod_deflate to not compress responses when that header is
returned by a PHP script?

It's easy enough to turn on or off deflate per-request using the
no-gzip environment variable.  But unfortunately, I don't think there
is any way to set an environment variable based on a response header.
This is because env variables need to be set early in order to be
useful for content handlers.  So they are set too early to look at
response headers.

One option would be to have your php script do an internal redirect to
a non-deflated page.  Another option would be to deflate everything,
but pad small response segments up to DeflateBufferSize.  (The padding
should be mostly compressed away anyway.)

Joshua.