[users@httpd] Different direction - WAS: Reverse SSL proxy with NULL cipher on backend?

To ask a different way, and potentially simplify the question-

On Apache 1.3.x webserver, when I specify the following cipher suite config using:

SSLCipherSuite NULL:eNULL

Apache demands a certificate and keyfile, even though the only valid request is for NULL.

So, the question is, what is the format for  NULL certificate files and key files?  How do I generate them?

Thanks,
josh

Josh Wyatt wrote:
Spil Oss wrote:

Hi Josh,

When you say "https is hard-coded as the beginning of all URLs" you
mean that that is done in all pages that the webserver generates? In
that case you might just address oapache using http, and in apache2's
config ProxyPass / http://localhost/.

Kind Regards,

Spil

Hi Spil,

Thank you for your response.

Actually, the logic goes something like this:
1. End-human requests a report from the application server.
2. The request is handed off to a report server;
3. the report server generates the report himself via a special URL on the webserver; 4. The report retrieval URL is then mangled for security reasons, and sent back to the end-human 5. a new browser window pops up for the end-human, and retrieves the report via mangled URL.

Now, step 3 uses a "hidden" internal URL which gets mangled later on in step 4. This mangling action doesn't happen unless SSL is enabled on on oapache.

Sounds complicated, and I'm sure R. Goldberg had a hand in this. But stage 3 requires SSL. Thanks,
Josh

On 18/09/06, Josh Wyatt <Josh.Wyatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 9/16/06, Josh Wyatt <Josh.Wyatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'd like to use NULL authentication, ciphers, etc to reduce the
>> proxyapache <-> oapache SSL overhead. How can I configure oapache and
>> proxyapache to use NULL for authentication, ciphers, etc?
>

> I don't know the answer to that.  I suspect it is impossible without
> modifying the configuratio n of oapache to accept null ciphers.
>
> But in any case, this is silly.  Why no just configure oapache to use
> ordinary http instead?
>
> Joshua.

I agree it's silly that SSL is required. But it truly is for this application (https is hard-coded as the beginning of all URLs), and it's a COTS application, so we can't change that bit.

Now, I absolutely DO have control over oapache's configuration. And as I stated in my initial post, I already tried specifying NULL ciphers with. Quoting my initial post:

'SSLProxyCipherSuite NULL' on proxyapache, and 'SSLCipherSuite NULL' on oapache. In oapache's logfiles I get:

[Fri Sep 15 22:00:51 2006] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake failed (server oapache:8888, client proxyapache) (OpenSSL library error follows) [Fri Sep 15 22:00:51 2006] [error] OpenSSL: error:1408A0C1:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_CLIENT_HELLO:no shared cipher [Hint: Too restrictive SSLCipherSuite or using DSA server certificate?]

Thanks,
Josh