RE: FW: [users@httpd] use the apache as a proxy server with caching

Thanks Joshua,
I will try it.

-----Original Message-----
From: jslive@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:jslive@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joshua
Slive
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 4:18 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: FW: [users@httpd] use the apache as a proxy server with
caching

On 9/7/06, Hasson Yehudit <Yehudit.Hasson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Someone can help me?
>
> I have some questions related to the configuration of apache 2.2.
> I am working on Unix and I want to use the apache as a proxy server
> with caching.
>
> I used --enable-proxy --enable-cache --enable-disk-cache
> #--enable-mem-cache
>
> 1) If both disk_cache and mem_cache are enable, when files will be
> kept on disk? What is the algorithm?

I've never tried, but my guess is that they will both try to cache every
file.  In other words, this is not a good idea.

> 2) What is better to use? Mem_cache or disk_cache?
> (I read some previous responses that disk_cache is faster because in
> mem_cache there is a memory For each thread), does it correct?

You've already heard the opinions on this.  In general, disk_cache is
better tested and will perform better with large cache sets.  Its
performance depends mostly on the efficiency of your OS buffer caches.

> 3) How can I config httpd.conf to support only disk_cache?
> My configuration goes as following, what is wrong with it?
> I ran the apache with this configuration, but the files were not
> cached in CacheRoot.

Is CacheRoot writable by the httpd User/Group?  Try turning LogLevel to
debug and running a cachable request.

Joshua.