Re: [users@httpd] userdir on different server

Hi,

thank your for your fast answer, I should have thought that more information are
needed.

One thing I also forgot to mention is that I need to keep a homogeneous URL
layout - so even if I install an apache on the userdirserver the url must not
change.

All are Unix(Solaris10) Systems. So first I thought about accessing the userdirs
by NFS-mounting them to the apache server. But I will run into problems here, as
the apache is in a DMZ and the userdirserver in the intranet. I don't see a
solution how to go through the firewall without creating a hugh gape in it.

Then I thought to simply copy the userdir folders from the fileserver onto the
webserver once a day or so (like creating tar files and scp them to the
webserver). But I don't find this to be a very good solution.

The last idea I had was to use capabilities of Solaris 10. Meaning creating a
virtual zone on the userdirserver and install an apache there. The userdirs are
going to be loopback read-only mounted from the global zone into this apache
zone. Then I would use ReverseProxying on the main apache server to integrate
the userdirs.
But I want to have security in mind as well and I don't feel so confident with
Solaris 10 zones yet. If I do sth. wrong I would give someone access to the
server with all our useraccounts on and to our intranet.

That's why I am asking here if someone has an idea what would be a good
solution.

Regards
Sue