Re: [users@httpd] 2nd try: Load balancing Apache on both HTTP and HTTPS

On 8/7/06, Pid <p@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Nes Yarug wrote:
> [...]
>
> 2nd try to see if anyone can shed some light on my configuration.
>
> I've been trying to configure Apache's balancer proxy, but have not had any
> luck. I've been trying to configure a load balancing proxy that forwards
> requests to 2 web servers. I want both http and https requests to be
> forwarded. (Actually, the forwarded requests do not need to be https as
> they are routed over the LAN)
>
> A simple picture of what I want:
>
> Internet HTTP/HTTPS-->
>
> --------------------------------------
> | Box 1: (Apache) Load balancer | -->
> --------------------------------------
> --------------------------
> | Box 2: Web server 1 |
> --------------------------
> --------------------------
> | Box 3: Web server 2 |
> --------------------------
>
> I started with the following configuration in /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
>
> ProxyPass /awstats !
> ProxyPass /balancer-manager !
> ProxyPass / balancer://mycluster/ stickysession=jsessionid
> ProxyPreserveHost On
>
> <Proxy balancer://mycluster/> <balancer://mycluster/%3E>
> BalancerMember http://192.168.0.2:80 <http://192.168.0.2/>
> BalancerMember http://192.168.0.3:80 <http://192.168.0.3/>
> </Proxy>
>
> This worked fine, but ofcourse not for https requests. I then removed the
> above configuration from httpd.conf and placed it in the default vhost
> configuration at /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/00_default_vhost.conf:
>
> ProxyPass /awstats !
> ProxyPass /balancer-manager !
> ProxyPass / balancer://mycluster/ stickysession=jsessionid
> ProxyPreserveHost On
>
> <Proxy balancer://mycluster/> <balancer://mycluster/%3E>
> BalancerMember http://192.168.0.2:80 <http://192.168.0.2/ >
> BalancerMember http://192.168.0.3:80 <http://192.168.0.3/>
> </Proxy>
>
> I then configured the default ssl virtual host simularly
> (/etc/apache2/modules.d/41_mod_ssl.default-vhost.conf):
>
> ProxyPass / balancer://mysslcluster/ stickysession=jsessionid
> ProxyPreserveHost On
>
> <Proxy balancer://mysslcluster/> <balancer://mysslcluster/%3E>
> BalancerMember https://192.168.0.2:443 <https://192.168.0.2/>
> BalancerMember https://192.168.0.3:443 <https://192.168.0.3/>
> </Proxy>
>
> But now I cannot get my requests to the balancer handled by one of the web
> servers (i.e. the request is not forwarded). An http request is
> forwarded to
> the web servers, but an https request is giving an Internal Server Error.
>
> https requests seem never been forwarded to the balancer members. I can
> see the request coming in on the load balancer, but no requests are
> logged by any of the two balancer members. As for http requests I can
> see the requests coming in on the load balancer and then in the logs of
> one of the two balancer members.
>
> Can someone please comment on the above configuration and tell me what I'm

comment: stickysession isn't doing anything unless you're running
another application or server which manages sessions (e.g. Tomcat).

I know. The "request handling" Apaches are handling static content (images and stuff) and send off page JSP requests through to an application server.

what you're doing wrong: do you have SSL  running on those two servers,
and can you create a normal request directly to them and does that give
you a 500 too?

Both "request handling" servers and the load balancing Apache have SSL running. If I make an HTTPS request directly to the Apache servers, I do see the request logged in the ssl_access_log. I made the wget request from the load balancer box to eliminate connection issues.

What is the cause of the 500 in the error_log of the proxied servers?

There is nothing logged in the proxied servers, but your questions made me look again at the ssl_error_log of the Load Balancer and I got this error message:

[Mon Aug 07 21:49:05 2006] [error] proxy: HTTPS: failed to enable ssl support for 192.168.0.3:443 (192.168.0.3)
[Mon Aug 07 21:55:26 2006] [error] [client 192.168.0.2] SSL Proxy requested for www.sportsnn.com:443 but not enabled [Hi
nt: SSLProxyEngine]

I then turned on SSLProxyEngine in the SSL default virtual host configuration and SSL request were being passed!

Many thanks, this issue is solved now. On to the next problem :)

Many thanks,
Nes