[users@httpd] 2nd try: Load balancing Apache on both HTTP and HTTPS

Hi all,

2nd try to see if anyone can shed some light on my configuration.

I've been trying to configure Apache's balancer proxy, but have not had any
luck. I've been trying to configure a load balancing proxy that forwards
requests to 2 web servers. I want both http and https requests to be
forwarded. (Actually, the forwarded requests do not need to be https as they are routed over the LAN)

A simple picture of what I want:

Internet HTTP/HTTPS-->

--------------------------------------
| Box 1: (Apache) Load balancer | -->
--------------------------------------
--------------------------
| Box 2: Web server 1 |
--------------------------
--------------------------
| Box 3: Web server 2 |
--------------------------

I started with the following configuration in /etc/apache/httpd.conf:

ProxyPass /awstats !
ProxyPass /balancer-manager !
ProxyPass / balancer://mycluster/ stickysession=jsessionid
ProxyPreserveHost On

<Proxy balancer://mycluster/>
BalancerMember http://192.168.0.2:80
BalancerMember http://192.168.0.3:80
</Proxy>

This worked fine, but ofcourse not for https requests. I then removed the
above configuration from httpd.conf and placed it in the default vhost
configuration at /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/00_default_vhost.conf:

ProxyPass /awstats !
ProxyPass /balancer-manager !
ProxyPass / balancer://mycluster/ stickysession=jsessionid
ProxyPreserveHost On

<Proxy balancer://mycluster/>
BalancerMember http://192.168.0.2:80
BalancerMember http://192.168.0.3:80
</Proxy>

I then configured the default ssl virtual host simularly
(/etc/apache2/modules.d/41_mod_ssl.default-vhost.conf):

ProxyPass / balancer://mysslcluster/ stickysession=jsessionid
ProxyPreserveHost On

<Proxy balancer://mysslcluster/>
BalancerMember https://192.168.0.2:443
BalancerMember https://192.168.0.3:443
</Proxy>

But now I cannot get my requests to the balancer handled by one of the web
servers (i.e. the request is not forwarded). An http request is forwarded to
the web servers, but an https request is giving an Internal Server Error.

https requests seem never been forwarded to the balancer members. I can see the request coming in on the load balancer, but no requests are logged by any of the two balancer members. As for http requests I can see the requests coming in on the load balancer and then in the logs of one of the two balancer members.

Can someone please comment on the above configuration and tell me what I'm
doing wrong?

Many thanks,
Nes