Re: [users@httpd] two simple questions

On 8/6/06, Ikke Snoeckx <sebastiaan.snoeckx@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello

I have two (simple) questions:

1. A RewriteRule:
Basically, consider this: www.example.com/foo.bar ... Now, I want that
to be also accessible by this: www.example.com/foo (so, actually, it is
just the file name, but without the .bar extension) ...

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/foo /foo.bar

Use the RewriteLog to debug.

2. Access and authorisation:
I have two folders (lets call them 'foo' and 'bar') were I put some
things in that should not be downloaded or viewed, however must be
included in my website.
Basically, the only way to get access to the content being in those two
folder is through the normal Apache GET process, and with the right
referer (e.g. www.example.com, and *no* other, even an empty referer
won't give you access)...
I said _basically_, because I know that there are tools to fake headers
and such, but this is only to keep the majority of the visitors out of it.
Additionally: I have my Javascript and some CSS Files (.js and .css) in
it also, however those may be downloaded and viewed (*unless* the
referer is *not* www.example.com *or empty*) at will...

The "Prevent Image Theft" example here is close:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/env.html#examples

Additionally: How can I setup Password Authorisation for the foo and bar
folders (so no simple 403 error but 401)?

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/auth.html

Incidentally, you should ignore Morgan's advice about the .htaccess
file.  It is not necessary.

Joshua.