Re: Re: Re: [users@httpd] Vitualhosts ssl and apache2

On 8/2/06, Vincent Bray <noodlet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 8/2/06, David Pratt <fairwinds@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Vincent. I have NameVirtualHost(s) set up as follows.
>
> NameVirtualHost *:80
> NameVirtualHost *.443
>
> Sorry I did not include this in my previous message. The twisted SSL
> server is pretty much stand alone and uses its own certificate source.
> What I want to do is have the server running on localhost:8443 proxied
> on 443 for a particular path.  Will I still need Apache's SSLEngine for
> this?
Hi,
Looking in to this a little further (thanks google) has confirmed what
I thought; that reverse proxying ssl is largely pointless. This rather
old message explains the scenario:

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200005/0744.html

That leaves you either, a) forgetting about ssl authentication between
the user agent and zope, b) exposing zope to the client directly, or
c) using something at the tcp level to forward the encrypted
connection to zope's port.

--
noodl