Re: [users@httpd] Info needed to set up MPM in Windows.

Hi,

 I have a doubt. Suppose my Apache is processing 10 transaction in 10 threads in Windows. In the execution path of one thread there is a bug and it gives me core. What will happen then in Windows? Will it kill the process or only that particular thread? I don't want all the 9 transactions executing in the happy path be disturbed. Any ideas/gudance welcome.

Thanks and Regards,
Jayaram Ganapathy
Tata Consultancy Services Limited
Mailto: jayaram.g@xxxxxxx
Website: http://www.tcs.com

"Joshua Slive" <joshua@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: jslive@xxxxxxxxx

07/29/2006 07:14 PM

Please respond to
users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject

On 7/29/06, jayaram.g@xxxxxxx <jayaram.g@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear ALl,
> I want to configure the Windows mpm-nt in Apache 2.2. The setup should be,
> when I start Apache 5 processes of Apache should start and each processes
> should not have more than one thread(I mean only main thread of the process
> should run.). This is similar to thr pre-fork of Solaris. I have some
> restrictions related to stability and thats why I am insisting on pre-fork
> model in Windows.
> Is it possible to acheive the same by setting the number od threads per
> process to 1 and configuring Apache for 5 childs in Windows?
> Is there at any point Apache using the CreateProcess API. Any help will be
> appreciated.

No, mpm_winnt does not support a multi-process model.  It can be
configured only with one processes and a fixed number of threads.
Imitating the prefork model on windows does not really make sense
since processes are so expensive compared to threads on that platform.
There have  been discussions of worker-like models on windows, but I
don't know of any working code.

Joshua.