Re: [users@httpd] Apache PC to Apple/Mac - Basic Questions

Vincent Bray <noodlet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi David, good to see you switched ;-)

Good to finally escape Microsoft! :)

> Are you using the bundled installation of 1.3? In any case, vhost
configuration is the same across platforms.

I don't even know what 1.3 is; I was told that Apache is installed in Apple computers by default. However, I could be mistaken, because I haven't been able to figure out where the files are located. Then again, I can't locate the PHP files (also supposedly installed by default) or the MySQL program that I just installed, either. ;)

> I tend to use /Library/WebServer/Sites (doesn't exist by default) when
using the bundled 1.3 version. However, as 1.3 is old news, I
generally build my own version in ~/Services. Use whatever feels most
comfortable.

Where's ~/Services? I found the Library folder...Macintosh HD > Library...but was surprised to see it doesn't already contain a folder named WebServer, since WebServer is mentioned several times under Mac OS on the link you gave me. Anyway, I created the folder WebServer and am copying "sites" inside it now.

> You will likely run in to problems using rewrite rules in a .htaccess
file if you put your sites in /Users/you/Sites.

No problem - I can't locate /Users, either. :) Library/Webserver/Sites sounds like a pretty logical alternative.

> To be honest using rewrites in .htaccess is evil anyway.

Is there an alternative???

> There's a page of distro specific layout details here,
http://trac.eta-beta-pi.net/wiki/HowTo/Distros-default-layout

Thanks for the link; that's a tremendous help.