[users@httpd] Apache Crashes - Resource temporarily unavailable: setuid

Hi,
I'm running Apache 2.0.54 on Fedora Core 4. Apache crashes with a frequency varying between a few minutes and a few hours. Apache doesn't die cleanly, so it can't start again until the child processes have all died. When I try to start Apache immediately after a crash, I get the following error:

(98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address 64.90.180.93:11008
Unable to open logs

Only by killing all Apache processes, or at least the ones binding to port 11008, can I restart Apache immediately. Otherwise I need to wait a few minutes before Apache will start again.

The following is a snapshot of the error log around a crash time:

[Fri Jul 28 12:52:33 2006] [alert] (11)Resource temporarily unavailable: setuid: unable to change to uid: 48 [Fri Jul 28 12:52:33 2006] [alert] (11)Resource temporarily unavailable: setuid: unable to change to uid: 48 [Fri Jul 28 12:52:33 2006] [alert] Child 1169 returned a Fatal error... Apache is exiting! [Fri Jul 28 12:52:33 2006] [emerg] (43)Identifier removed: couldn't grab the accept mutex [Fri Jul 28 12:52:33 2006] [emerg] (43)Identifier removed: couldn't grab the accept mutex

Google searches indicated to me that increasing swap space might help, but after adding another gig of swap space Apache continued to crash. I was unable to find any other promising information.

I had seen a similar problem where I was unable to su to a user, but by changing their uid I was able to su to them. Thus I tried making Apache run as a different user (I didn't think it would be wise to try to change Apache's uid). This lengthened the time between crashes, but didn't stop them altogether. I am currently running Apache as this other user to keep Apache up for longer.

I also thought that pam_limits might be causing a problem. Turning pam_limits off made Apache crash more often. Increasing the number of processes that Apache was allowed to run in pam_limits was not helpful.

I haven't made any recent configuration changes to my machine other than those mentioned to try to fix Apache. Before a few days ago, Apache had been running for weeks without crashing. How can I keep Apache from crashing, and what might have cause it to start crashing in the first place?