Re: [users@httpd] Content-type in cgi scripting

On Thursday 13 July 2006 05:18, jsandlin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I've been testing with mozilla and all was cool.  Then I used Internet
> Exploder on a windows box and it wants to download my perl script (when it
> does, the content of the file is the text output that I wanted in the
> browser window).  If I change "plain" to "html" exploder works fine - but
> my text looks like mush.

Congratulations on actually making those tests (we have a steady stream of
people asking that question without even telling us *what* is "downloaded").

The answer is simple: MSIE doesn't even try to support plain text (just as it
declines to make any attempt to support XHTML).

Actually it's worse than that: if you serve plain text with a few pointy
brackets in, MSIE may unilaterally decide to present it as "html".
The MIME specs of 1992/3 explicitly warn of the security implications
of doing that, to the extent of providing a recipe for writing an
Outlook virus.

> So my question is, do I have a) Apache configured wrong, b) exploder
> configured wrong, or c) my perl written wrong?  And what do I do to fix a)
> or b)?

That's what helper applications on the client are for.

--
Nick Kew