[users@httpd] Performance Tuning Documentation?

Does anyone have any recommendations for books, PDFs, or other forms of documentation that describe in detail how to tune Apache for performance?  I’ve read the tips on the Apache website, but I still have many questions about the way Apache handles requests, such as:

Why doesn’t it return an HTTP error when the number of concurrent users exceeds MaxClients?

What’s a reasonable setting for Timeout, KeepAliveTimeout and MaxKeepAliveRequests, and exactly when do the counters for each timeout begin?

Are the default settings for StartServers, MinSpareServers, and MaxSpareServers optimal for most situations?