Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess help

On 7/7/06, Noel Stratton <nstratton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Here is my .htaccess configuration in my root directory:

Options +ExecCGI
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 10.13.1.
allow from 10.13.2.
allow from 10.13.3.
allow from 10.13.4.
satisfy any
AuthName "Members 1st Credit Union Employees Only"
AuthType Kerberos
Krb5Keytab /etc/auth_kerb.keytab
KrbAuthRealm MEMBERSONLINE.LOCAL
KrbMethodNegotiate off
KrbSaveCredentials off
KrbVerifyKDC off
Require valid-user

This web server is used as a company intranet site.  However, my boss
would like it where employees can view the intranet site from home.
This configuration will make it where users inside my network do not
have to authenticate.  If they are outside of the network they will have
to authenticate to active directory.  This is working really well.

Here is my problem.  I have a couple of sub-directories that I do not
want to be accessible outside of my network.  I put an .htaccess
configuration in the subdirectory like this:

order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 10.13.1.
allow from 10.13.2.
allow from 10.13.3.
allow from 10.13.4.

When I navigate to the subdirectory I am prompted with the
authentication box instead of the forbidden page.  After an hour of
research I came out confused and could not get a clear answer on this:

Does a .htaccess file in a subdirectory over ride the .htaccess file in
the root directory?
Does a ..htaccess file in a subdirectory merge with a .htaccess file in
the root directory?

They are merged.

You can probably get what you want by putting
Require user non-existent-user
in the sub-directory .htaccess files.

Joshua.