[users@httpd] SSI and accepting bad URL.

I've just noticed an unusual behavior with Server-Side Include.  With
SSI enabled, I can continuously add the page name and still pull the
same page.  Basically
http://www.abanet.org/tax/taxtips4u/scam.shtml/scam.shtml/scam.shtml/sca
m.shtml is the same page as
http://www.abanet.org/tax/taxtips4u/scam.shtml.  Instead of a 404, it
actually finds the page.

It's not rewrite rules; I removed them.  And I don't have any Redirect
rules.  When I comment out the AddHandler directive, the problem goes
away.  I'm not sure if this is a recent occurrence with 1.3.34 (and I
haven't found it in the bug report or FAQ).  It's such a weird problem,
I haven't been able to find any information on it (I'm probably not
using the right search term because I'm not sure how to phrase this
problem).

I'm on Apache 1.3.34 and enabled SSI with the following directives:

Options -ExecCGI -FollowSymLinks -Indexes +IncludesNOEXEC
AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

Any idea why SSI would allow these bad URL?