[users@httpd] Serve /var/www and public_html

Running Gentoo linux
 Apache/2.0.58

What I am trying to do is probably pretty common but I am having some
confusion getting it working.

My aim is to run a lan wide site at /var/www and use
/home/MYUSER/public_html for experimenting with getting some cgi stuff
working.

It seems I can get one or the other to work with full execution of cgi
but not both.  I'm not sure what the main factor is but I kind of
think it might be setting the ScriptAlias.

I want to be able to execute cgi anywhere under /var/www/localhost/
and anywhere under /home/MYUSER/public_html.

That is, to have apache know about /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/
but still run cgi at /home/MYUSER/public_html/exp/some.cgi and
http://my.host.lan/some/dir/my.cgi.

In the various setups I've created and tried one of two things has
happened.

1) apache doesn't know about /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin and fails to
   find it at http://my.host.lan/cgi-bin/
But I have full use of http://my.host.lan/~myuser/exp/some.cgi

Or

2) http://my.host.lan/cgi-bin/ is findable and cgi under it and
   http://my.host.lan/some/dir/some.cgi
   execute just fine

   But  http://my.host.lan/~myuser/exp/some.cgi is just displayed as a
   file.

How can I get both things to work as I'd like?