RE: [users@httpd] htaccess

You don't have to re-install. A simple restart will recreate the logs if
they don't already exist. The error_log entry is really important
because it will tell you the real filesystem path (ie not just the URL)
of the file that apache cannot find.

> as soon as i get the same php messages i will store them and
> send them to
> you.
> but the questions rests, why the error treatment works with
> all tipped files
> instead php extension.

You must have (possibly accidentally) configured apache to handle PHP
files somehow. And it's not working...

> if the user tips
> /xxx/inde
> /xxx/index.htm
> etc.
> error 404 is not displayed by the browser
> the redirection gets him to the page we want.
>
> but as soon as he tips
> /xxx/index.php
> or else with .php
> the browser answers with the windows 404 error message

This is new information - do you mean the "friendly" MSIE error page? If
so, that implies that the server is not sending "enough" data so MSIE
"helpfully" throws it away and creates its own message. Switch this off
(http://www.webwizguide.com/asp/faq/friendly_HTTP_error_messages.asp)
then try again - maybe you're triggering a different error that's not
listed in your ErrorDoc directives...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> and our error treatment getting him to a certain page does
> not work anymore.
>
> thanks for your answers
>
> regards
>
> mike

> > This would be useful...

> > so would this...

> > > no

> typing in
> > >
> > > It does not matter if I redirect the user to the main-page or
> > > to a special
> > > error page.
> > > Fact is, that the error treatment does not work correctly,
> > > when the tipped
> > > url has the extension php.
> > >
> > > there is no panic around here, especially not here in
> southern france.
> > > it's just making us crazy beeing hacked from people and we
> > > want to defend,
> > > say answer these hacks,
> > > just redirecting them to the main page.
> >
> > Hacks? Requesting a non-existent URL is not a hack, it's a perfectly
> > normal occurance on the web and the protocol defines
> exactly what to do
> > - return a 404 status message. Optionally, the server can
> redirect to
> > another resource, but it's assumed that the other resource
> would give
> > the user *more* information about what went wrong.
> >
> > The routing is not "working correctly" because you have a
> > misconfiguration in your config (did you search it for any
> PHP related
> > directives?). We could probably offer more advise if we
> could see the
> > error_log (it'll say what file it can't actually find) but
> it looks like
> > you can't be bothered to dig that out...
> >
> > Rgds,
> > Owen Boyle

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.