RE: [users@httpd] htaccess ANY HELP PLEASE ?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mididoc Productions [mailto:mail@xxxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 1:14 AM
> To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [users@httpd] htaccess ANY HELP PLEASE ?

First off, it's not regarded as nice netiquette to repost to a mailing list after only 5 hours. After a week, maybe... but after 5 hours implies you think the rest of us exist merely to serve you :-)

Turning to your "problem"...

> we have in the htaccess file a treatment for errors:
>
> ErrorDocument 403 http://www.ourdomain.com
> ErrorDocument 404 http://www.ourdomain.com
> ErrorDocument 500 http://www.ourdomain.com
>
> this is for redirecting any user to the mainpage, when he is
> searching a
> file which does not exist.
> this works with all files, also without extension.
>
> but when the user inserts for example
> http://www.ourdomain.com/index.php
>
> the browser jumps into an error message 404 file not found.
> he doesn't redirect the user to the mainpage like always.

Essential info when posting:

- Apache version
- OS
- error_log entry
- access_log entry

Otherwise, we're just guessing...

Additional info:

- do you actually have PHP installed?
- is it configured correctly and working on existing URLs?

Incidentally, I'm a little bemused by this problem of "high importance" - it is not usual that users surf a site by typing in random URLs in the hope that they lead to a page. So I don't quite see what all the panic's about. The whole ErrorDoc scheme is about giving users some useful info when *you* inadvertently create a broken link on your site (happens a lot on complex sites). Also, your scheme of converting a 404 into a redirect to the homepage is a bit weird - how is anyone supposed to know something went wrong? They'll just assume your link leads to the homepage and get fed up  - and they won't report the broken link to you (users are the best thing for finding bugs on your site :-)

I'd have a think about the whole ErrorDoc thing and try to work out exactly what you're trying to achieve...

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> has anybody an idea to get this working?
>

> many thanks
>

> mike

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.