Re: [users@httpd] Processor usage

On 5/16/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bill Jones wrote:
> On 5/16/06, Mario Henley Becerril Geldis
> <Mario.H.Becerril@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>  I have a box with Winbugs 2003(win 2003) and apache http server that
>> have 4
>> processors , the performance monitor report that the third processor have
>> usage of 85%, rest of processor have a usage of around 20-25%.

> Does your Windows 2003 Server support Processor Affinity?  If so you
> can assign Apache to a set of two processors and left two free for the
> operating system and other things like a database application.

Since httpd isn't setting affinity, and is chewing on multiple threads, I'll
bet dollars to donuts the third thread isn't httpd's consumption.  Incidently,
it means the kernel schedule will be favoring cpu's 1, 2 and 4 for httpd.

And I agree but how do you collect data showing it one way or another
when an Apache user looks at a snapshot -- or even a few hours -- and
states that apache is using 85% of a single CPU within a 4 cpu system?

Granted I'm not Windows expert but I understand processor affinity and
I hope I understand a little about Apache internals - so what few
Apache Windows systems I have setup and fewer still that had more than
two physical cpus did any of them not at least equally share the CPUs
horsepower overall.

In retrospect I guess my question should have been:

"Is this a system with 4 separate cpus or only 2 cpus with 2 cores
looking like there are 4 cpus?"

The only time I have ever seen Apache "stick" to a CPU apparently on
its own was in 2004 under RedHat 9 I installed a SMP kernel on Dell
with 2 CPUs -- looked like four to the monitor -- the setup was a
completely custom compiled from scratch Apache/MySQL/PHP with all the
compiler options I could find; after all wa said and done it looked
like Apache was "staying" on one half of a single CPU and not
utilizing all available processors.

Further testing showed that it was really MySQL/PHP persistence -- I
had compiled MySQL and PHP with Worker MPM under Apache (not stable)
and that was hosing the performance test results.

Switched back to Prefork but I had to double my RAM from 2GB to 4GB  =(

One day I hope to be a proficent Apache performance tuner =)
--
WC (Bill) Jones -- http://youve-reached-the.endoftheinternet.org/