RE: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication not working in Gentoo Linux

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Manilal K M [mailto:libregeek@xxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Dienstag, 14. März 2006 12:18
> To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication not working
> in Gentoo Linux
>
> There was no other "AuthConfig",

AuthConfig is the argument to the directive. You need to check for "AllowOverride"....

>still I check it in all the
> configuration files in /etc/apache2.

going back to your original config... Can you try:

	Require valid-user

instead of:

	Require user libregeek

Also, grep for "Satisfy" in any config files (check the docs for why this can be a problem).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> > > I have also checked in the
> > > /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/BackupPC for any .htaccess files.
> > > The folder doesn't have any .htaccess files.
> >
> > Remember that files beginning with a dot don't show up
> unless you do "ls -a" - did you check that?
> Yes. I checked with ls -al
> >
> > > But still the authentication
> > > dialog doesn't appear and the browser directly displays
> the protected
> > > page.
> >
> > You *are* restarting apache after each config change, aren't you?
> Of course.
>

> > Check also it's not a caching issue - kill and restart the
> browser before testing again.
> I have did it several times. I tried with two different browsers, ie
> firefox and konqueror.
> >
> > BTW, you know you will only get prompted *once* for a password? Ie:
> >
> > - first access: prompted for password
> > - enter PW: read page
> > - go to another page...
> > - come back: get straight in...
> In my case the browser never asked for password. So I don't think this
> may be the issue
>
> Yet I am in big disaster.  :(
>
> regards
> Manilal

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.