Re: [users@httpd] Basic Authentication not working in Gentoo Linux

On 14/03/06, Boyle Owen <Owen.Boyle@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
There was no other "AuthConfig", still I check it in all the
configuration files in /etc/apache2.

> > I have also checked in the
> > /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin/BackupPC for any .htaccess files.
> > The folder doesn't have any .htaccess files.
>
> Remember that files beginning with a dot don't show up unless you do "ls -a" - did you check that?
Yes. I checked with ls -al

> > But still the authentication
> > dialog doesn't appear and the browser directly displays the protected
> > page.
>
> You *are* restarting apache after each config change, aren't you?
Of course.

> Check also it's not a caching issue - kill and restart the browser before testing again.
I have did it several times. I tried with two different browsers, ie
firefox and konqueror.

> BTW, you know you will only get prompted *once* for a password? Ie:
>
> - first access: prompted for password
> - enter PW: read page
> - go to another page...
> - come back: get straight in...
In my case the browser never asked for password. So I don't think this
may be the issue

Yet I am in big disaster.  :(

regards
Manilal