[users@httpd] Perl CGI * 900 second timeout

Let's try this again...

I'm seeing an odd issue on apache2 for Debian Sarge (Server version: Apache/2.0.54, Server built:   Sep  5 2005 11:11:08). I've got a Perl CGI can be counted on to run for as long as an hour. After 15 minutes/900 seconds, the browser stops accepting content from the browser, i.e. in IE the globe stops spinning, or in Firefox the spinner... stops. The CGI continues to run on the webserer, but the user gets no confirmation that their process is completing. This problem is NOT browser-specific; it failes on lynx just the same as it fails on IE or Firefox.

The kicker is that in apache2.conf, I've made the following change:

Timeout 3600

So far as I can tell, this is either being ignored or doesn't act like I think it should. I do know that if I change the value from 3600 to 30, all pages stop running after 30 seconds.

Why would a higher value for Timeout be ignored?

Thanks,
Ryan

This email transmission and any documents, files or previous

email messages attached to it may contain information that is

confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended

printing, distributing or use of this transmission is strictly

prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,

please immediately notify the sender by telephone or return

email and delete the original transmission and its attachments

without reading or saving in any manner.

The Evangelical Lutheran Good Samaritan Society.