RE: [users@httpd] CNAME and A records not working?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: RYAN vAN GINNEKEN [mailto:luck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Mittwoch, 8. März 2006 05:23
> To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [users@httpd] CNAME and A records not working?
>
> Been rackin my brain on this one

First: Forget apache. You have to get DNS working properly before tackling the apache config. I presume all hostnames have to resolve to the same IP? So, work on the DNS config until this is so (test DNS using "nslookup" - not by typing the hostnames into a browser).

Once you have DNS working reliably using nslookup, try the hostnames in a browser. If you still have problems, check your ServerName and ServerAlias directives in each VH. Post back if you need further help.

BTW, it would help if you posted real domain names - since this could be a DNS issue, it would be better if we could check it ourselves.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> I have a vhost in apache called host1.com it have a serveralias of
> www.host1.com.  I used to use a DNS CNAME for the
> www.host1.com and then
> create another virtual host for that too.  So i had 2 virtual host
> containers for almost every site seems a bit cleaner and more
> sensible
> to just omit the CNAME in DNS and add a serveralias in apache.  This
> save me the bother of maintaining another entire virtual host
> container
> for each site.  Is one more correct than the other  they both seem to
> work ok but it is kinda confusing.  Note host1.com and www.host1.com
> point to the same server and the same content all  work well.
>
> Anyway here is my problem There is also another record in my
> DNS named
> mail.host1.com it points to a different vhost named
> www.mail.portal.org
> also on the same  server.  I am using www.mail.portal.org as a email
> portal for several sites so i added CNAMES to the DNS for these sites
> like so
>
> mail.host1.com    IN CNAME     www.mail.portal.com
>
> this does not seem to work  so i tried an A record
>
> mail.host1.com   IN A    123.123.123.123
>
> this does not seem to work either apache seems to pick up the
> connection
> but it takes me to the first virtual host listed in the
> httpd.conf file
> host.com.  I need apache to accept the connection and redirect me
> www.mail.portal.com.  Why doenst this work i have a similar
> setup on a
> different server and i works fine with CNAMES could it be the
> serveralias thingy as i do not use it on the other server the
> one that
> works.

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.