From: jslive@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:jslive@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joshua
Slive
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2006 12:35 PM
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Why the sudden need to raise MaxClients?

On 2/20/06, Sage Weaver <sage@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am having this exact same problem.  I'm also using standard debian
> packages for Apache 2.0.54, and the prefork MPM, except my MaxClients
> setting is already set to 512.
>
> The minute I hit 513 apache2 processes (listed in "ps -C apache2", the

> server stops responding entirely.  Those processes seem to never
close.
> The only way to fix it is to reload Apache via "/etc/init.d/apache2
> restart"

Well, "standard debian packages" mean nothing to me.  And given the fact
that it is being reported by two debian users, I suspect it is something
in there that is causing the problem.

What you are reporting is certainly not normal behavior.  You can use
mod_status's server-status handler to at least see what the processes
are doing.

Joshua.