From: Michael McCullough [mailto:husky5153@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Montag, 6. Februar 2006 15:19
To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Help! - question about file
permissions and apache

I have figured it out. But now I can't get it to work outside
of my computer. Having trouble with port 80. I have a Westell
327 dsl modem/router and runing Windows XP Home. I had setup
a DNS account and gave my computer a static IP, but the DNS
site is saying they are getting another IP number from my
browser(Firefox) which is not the IP address I gave my
computer. Thanks!
I may be wrong but I have a nasty feeling that you have installed apache on a home PC and think that's all there is to putting a website on the public internet (bar a coupla tweaks).

There's tons more to it...

- have you registered a domain name?
- have you informed the registrar of your primary DNS?
- have you been assigned an IP address by your ISP? (you don't just "give your computer a static IP address" any more than you give your phone a phone number...)
- does your domain name resolve to your assigned IP in public DNS? (Post them and we'll check).

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

On 2/6/06, Boyle Owen <Owen.Boyle@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

      This question doesn't mean very much - most features of
apache should work straight away without any modification of
file permissions. What specifically do you want to do? What
specifically have you tried? What specifically is not
working? Quote error log messages in all posts...

      Rgds,
      Owen Boyle
      Disclaimer: Any disclaimer attached to this message may
be ignored.

      >    "   from the digest:

      Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche
Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw.
Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a
private and personal nature. It is not related to the
exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent
e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec
l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

      This message is for the named person's use only. It may
contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged
information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in
error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately
delete the message and any copies of it from your system.
Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the
message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you
are not the intended recipient. The sender's company reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their
networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of
the individual sender, except where the message states
otherwise and the sender is authorised to state them to be
the views of the sender's company.

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a private and personal nature. It is not related to the exchange or business activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

Yes I was trying to setup Apache and a website at home. I know all about the DNS stuff. My problem was that the DNS host says I have a IP address that is different then what my ISP gave me. I even tried to setup a static IP on my computer but the DNS host still says a different IP address. I went to Boutell.com to find out how to host my own website at home. I just need to find out how to get the IP addresses fixed. Thanks!