RE: [users@httpd] Apache 2.055 Best Practices

Not "of the proxy", they are "of the backend". The proxy is in front, the backend is behind.

The URL modification in the browser is exactly what happens when the client is redirected.

> This may sound like a dumb question, but from my point of
> view (network engineering) please forgive.  Which would you
> recommend using, mod_proxy or mod_rewrite for doinf this type
> of traffic manipulation?

Proxy. You want to hide the URLs on the backend (they don't even need to be accessible from the client - the backend can be on a private network).

You need to look at the HTTP traffic directly to see the headers. Use wget -v or firefox with http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/ or just telnet to the server and issue the GET by hand.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle