Re: [users@httpd] AddDefaultCharset and Multiple Encodings

I agree with your distinction between what Apache does
and how the browser responds to it.  Sorry for the
inaccuracy on my part.

The basis for my comment is that the Apache
documentation for AddDefaultCharset says:

"This should override any charset specified in the
body of the response via a META  element, though the
exact behavior is often dependent on the user's client
configuration."

Mozilla 1.7.12 and Opera 8.51 give priority to the
HTTP charset encoding and therefore comply with the
"should" statement in the Apache documentation.  IE6.0
gives priority to the Content-Type meta element in the
HTML head instead.

Unfortunately, taking the advice of the Apache
documentation prevents the more compliant browsers
from correctly rendering the content from a given
server using the AddDefaultCharset directive unless
that same charset encoding is used across the entire
site.  Although Apache is not responsible for this,
compliance with the "should" statement in its
documentation is.

I think the Apache documentation should not recommend
overriding the meta element, because what's in the
meta element is most likely to be correct.  Does this
make sense or am I still off target?

Jim

--- Joshua Slive <joshua@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> No, it doesn't.  It set's an HTTP charset only when
> none exists.
> Perhaps what you are seeing is the fact that
> browsers will use the
> charset specified in the html <head> when no HTTP
> charset is present.
> But this has really nothing to do with apache.