Re: [users@httpd] AddDefaultCharset and Multiple Encodings

On 1/31/06, Skating Jim <skatingjim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The AddDefaultCharset directive overrides any encoding
> settings in served content.  Is there a way to force a
> default encoding only when none is explicitly
> indicated in the content?

No, it doesn't.  It set's an HTTP charset only when none exists.
Perhaps what you are seeing is the fact that browsers will use the
charset specified in the html <head> when no HTTP charset is present.
But this has really nothing to do with apache.  I have seen certain
modules that will read the html, extract the charset, and put it in
the http headers.  But I don't think I know of any way to do exactly
what you are looking for.

Joshua.