Re: [users@httpd] high load average on Apache 1.3 hosting 8000 conc. users forum

Hello,
Can we start first by checking if my httpd.conf is well configured? I have 2 webservers, load balanced by a Foundry switch. both httpd.conf's are:

KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 300
KeepAliveTimeout 15
MinSpareServers 10
MaxSpareServers 30
StartServers 50
MaxClients 250
MaxRequestsPerChild 1000

remember, i usually get 2800+ connections which show on the VBulletin forum around 8000 concurrent users.

Thank you,
--
devnull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <devnull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
--- Begin Message ---
devnull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx a écrit :

Mainly VBulletin is a php script. I don't serve much static html files.
How can php be tuned to optimize its performance?

Usually, any php-forum has an option to make it storing generated pages as html-static. In that case, pages are regenerated only when a user make something new in it. This act nearly as a cache. In that case, your webserver will serves only "static pages" : your php, wich is I think a module dynamycally linked in your apache, will made is job only when he has to do it: not regenerating the same page again and again. Try to make a ration on how much time php regenerate the same page (how much people are seeing it) and how much times the page is changed (someone reply in a forum) ?
(The ration might be worst on the thread list indexes).

After that, you should enable a mod expire on your graphic content and/or html pages or delegate
this part on another server.
Try to see if you can enable mod_deflate and or mod_gzip but serving only pre-gzipped files: I
remember this was an option but I didn't see it for a long time.

Usually, when looking for an enhanced way to serve static content, you should take a look at http://www.lighttpd.net/ or http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/ or boa or even zeus.. With apache, you can achieve nearly these enhanced performances server when playing with kqueue, poll/epoll, threaded based server. The worst multiplexing model being select-prefork one. I have nothing against apache and I respect it's developper's great work but it's too general to
serve high loads web servers.

Continuing to descend low in the system, you should look more carefully at your tcp-stacks buffers but it's depend on your system. But if you don't know what's this, forget this asap. ;-)

JB.

--- End Message ---