Re: [users@httpd] high load average on Apache 1.3 hosting 8000 conc. users forum

Hello Joshua,
Well the issue is that at peak times, the server doesn't respond, typing in SSH becomes sometimes slow, memory usage is fairly used (4GB of rams). The machine is a dual xeon 3.0 / SCSI hard disks. What do you mean by "disks maxed out" ?

Mainly VBulletin is a php script. I don't serve much static html files. How can php be tuned to optimize its performance?

Sincerely,
--
devnull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <devnull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
--- Begin Message ---
On 1/29/06, devnull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <devnull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear List members,
> I'm the administrator of a big website that hosts an important forum
> (VBulletin to be precise). At peak time we get around 7000-9000
> concurrent users (counting the php sessions, members visiting the forum)
> the switch (Foundry) counts 2700 concurrent connections.
>
> during those peak times, the apache server (RHEL 4 AS, Apache 1.3, php)
> gets a load average of 80~170. the mysql server runs smoothly at 0.9 ~
> 3.
>
> Browsing the Internet / following some optimizations HOWTOs didn't help.
> Can anyone kindly support me on that issue?

You need to work on the diagnosis before you work on the cure.  Load
average means almost nothing for a web server.  What exactly is
concerning you?  Are the responses slow?  How is memory usage?  Are
your disks maxed out?

In general, tuning apache itself won't get you very far (unless you
are serving mostly static files).  You need to make sure you have
adequate resources for your site and perhaps tune php and your
database.

Joshua.

--- End Message ---