Re: [users@httpd] htpasswd

David's suggestion won't solve your problem...

your browser will (deliberately) share credentials or cookies between
server1.com and server2.com.  As long as the domain names are out of
sync, your browser will compartmentalize the information specific to
each server.

Perhaps you want to reverse proxy server2 behind server1.com, making
everything within http://server1.com/server2/... fetch its contents
from server?

If you were truly load-balancing, then all requests at http://server1.com
would be round-robin'ed between the two machines, and the -browser- would
think it was always looking at the same server, so the credentials, that
is either the cookies or auth passwords, would be common between those boxes.

David Wolever wrote:
I don't think Apache likes to do that very much... I'm sure it would
be possible to hack your way around it, but the basic authentication
scheme is just that... basic.
It may be quicker and easier to whip something up in PHP (or Perl, or
Python or what have you).  I know sessions are really easy in PHP, you
could probably do this sort of authentication in a couple of lines
(feel free to e-mail me if you'd like those couple lines).
David