Re: [users@httpd] Apache Administrator qualification

httpd2@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

"Apache has been the most popular web server on the Internet since April of 1996. The November 2005 Netcraft Web Server Survey found that more than 70% of the web sites on the Internet are using Apache, thus making it more widely used than all other web servers combined."

As Apache now runs almost 3/4's of the internet, I was wondering if there is such a thing as a Certified Apache Administrator (CAA)?

Proposals and thoughts have been raised to the project, and never warmly
received.  You will note that the ASF takes a 'hands off' approach to those
who develop books, applications and other deriviative 'products' of ASF
project's software.

I think it would be a great way of showing competence as an Apache admin, if there was such a qualification.

Here's the crux; I should trust you (as a 'CAA') to handle my $250,000 Sun box,
constituing $2mm revenue/annum?  As an Apache admin, you probably have liberal
root access to this box.  Your 'CAA' credential implies it's safe in your hands.

BUT do I trust you to configure the *box* to run Apache httpd?  Seriously, your
knowledge of Linux doesn't imply you know how to lock down a Sun box.  This sort
of credential loses all context when you consider the role of an Apache admin.

Could Sun/HP/IBM/RedHat develop a curriculum/certification for complete server
administration, including Apache?  I suspect they not only could, but currently
do have some credentials around Server Administration - which must include dns,
sendmail, httpd and the dozens of other services which must be locked down.

And any of that sort of program would speak to a one specific kernel and server
deployment strategy, that corresponds to the OS you've installed out of the box.

So in short, the query's been raised before, and dismissed, and is unlikely to
ever come to some 'ASF Approved' curriculum/credential.  But outside parties do
extend ASF materials in all sorts of directions; they just need to observe the
ASF's ownership of the 'Apache' mark, feather and so forth.

Bill