RE: [users@httpd] Apache reverse and caching proxy

Hello Axel-Stéphane,

If I can follow what you are trying to tell me, I should add the "expiresactive on" directive on the source server instead of the caching server?

Axel-Stéphane  SMORGRAV <Axel-Stephane.SMORGRAV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

12/01/2006 15:12

Please respond to
users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [users@httpd] Apache reverse and caching proxy

The mod_expires that you activate with "ExpiresActive On" will add an Expires header to the responses sent to the client. It does nothing for Apache cache expiration. It does however have an effect on the expiration of downstream caches, in your case probably on the User Agent cache.

For cache expiration you should use the CacheDefaultExpire directive.  I believe mod_cache will make a conditional request for the resource when the cache entry gets stale.

If you set CacheDefaultExpires to a low value, mod_cache will frequently try to refresh the cache.

CacheDefaultExpires affects only responses that do not contain an explicit expiry date.

-ascs