[users@httpd] Apache 2.0.54 randomly fails to serve index.html for single domain on multi-host server

I asked this before, with no response, so I'm rephrasing the question:

Environment:

Apache/2.0.54 (Mandriva Linux/PREFORK-13.1.20060mdk)
mod_auth_external/2.2.9 mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.7g PHP/5.1.0RC1

Mandriva 2006, Pentium III dual processor system, SMP kernal, 768 mb
memory, ext3 filesystem... can supply any other information desired.

Using virtual hosting, with a fairly "stock" set up, via individual
files in vhosts.d (about 100 or so different sites)

Here's the problem:

Periodically, I get calls from my clients, and/or web site visitors,
telling me that "their site is gone"... inevitably, when I look, what I
see is a directory listing.

Now, this isn't because index.html has been munged... because it is
there. It just isn't being served by the web server as the default home
page.

This problem is, as far as I can tell, always confined to a single
domain, and is consistent (as long as it lasts), i.e., 100 attempts to
load the site produce 100 directory listings.

What isn't consistent, is that it goes away after a few days (haven't
retested any one domain long enough to see how long)... and usually pops
up on another domain (had the problem reported a half dozen times over
the past few months).

Nothing I've done seems to make it go away - I removed a bunch of
modules that I wasn't really using, in case there was some odd "side
effect". I played around with the order of the DirectoryIndex listing. I
commented out the DirectoryIndex item in the php apache config file...
tried every trick I could think of; nothing works. Which is why I'm
asking (again) here for advice.

What does "fix" the problem, is symlinking index.htm to index.html ...
no idea why the problem doesn't display itself with index.htm, but that
seems to "cure" it. Rather reluctant to symlink every damned instance of
index.html to an equivalent index.htm, but it looks like I might need to
do that if I can't solve the problem otherwise.

Tips? Pointers? Help?!?

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt
Systems Admin