[users@httpd] Re: force rewrite to occur before authentication, howto?

> The problem is that the login box pops up before the rewrite

I'm still not having any luck with this.  It appears as though
authentication is happening before the rewrite.  I need the
opposite:  need rewrite before the authentication.

Oddly, a google search turns up posts with both situations.
In some, people are in my boat (trying to get rewrite before auth)

In others, people are stating that Apache actually rewrites before
authentication (which is want I'm after).

for example, here is a 2001 post (same Joshua?)

http://www.mailarchives.org/list/apache-httpd-users/msg/2001/00078

RewriteRules get applied before authentication is performed.  Luckily,
Ralf thought of this problem and invented the convoluted syntax
%{LA-U:REMOTE_USER} to do an internal sub-request and grab the REMOTE_USER
value.  See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_rewrite.html#RewriteCond

tia,
Mike