[users@httpd] force rewrite to occur before authentication, howto?

For certain requests for resources in a password protected directory,
I'd like to redirect the user to an unprotected page.  In these cases,
I'd like the user not to know that the protected directory exists.
The problem is that the login box pops up before the rewrite -- which
clues the user into the existence of the protected directory.

I need to correct this using .htaccess files since I do not have
access to httpd.conf

I've tried placing the rewrite code in the password protected
directory's .htaccess file, in which case I've set the rewrite lines
are before the authentication lines.

I've also tried putting the rewrite lines in top directory's .htaccess file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike