[users@httpd] Requests following a path with a tilde not adhering to AuthConfig directives

OS: Mac OS X (10.2 - 10.4)
Apache version 1.3

I just found out that requests that follow a path using ~user/ do not adhere to authorization directives.

It does not matter if the directives are given in the main httpd.conf file or in a separate htaccess file in the directory to be protected. It does work if the directory in question is symlinked into the main web directory.

I have tried following all instructions in the documentation and I have searched the web for solutions but have found nothing. I take this to mean that I still must have gotten something terribly wrong, I can't believe others wouldn't have written about it somewhere otherwise. It would be a terrible security issue!

I have told apache to accept AuthConfig directives in all user- directories, and I use AuthType Basic).

Has anyone else seen this? Does someone have any advice? Is it a Mac OS-specific thing?

Thanks, Niklas