Re: [users@httpd] Apache stops/freezes before "Digest: done"

On 11/23/05, Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/23/05, Joshua Slive <jslive@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Why would an admin prefer the entire server to block?
> >
> > If your site depends on digest auth, then you want to be confident
> > that if apache says it started successfully, your site is going to
> > work.  Otherwise, you'd have to do detailed testing every time you
> > restarted your server.
>
> I don't think Apache saying ok guarantees your site is going to work.
> Doesn't digest also require random bytes after startup to periodically
> regenerate secrets?

There are no guarantees in life.  There is no perfect solution to the
question of which errors should inhibit startup and which shouldn't.
I'm just saying that it is not something that would be universally
welcomed.

And no, I don't believe mod_auth_digest requires random bytes after
startup.  It just needs them to seed the random number generator.  But
as I said, I'm not an expert in this.

Joshua.