Re: [users@httpd] Getting started - problem with virtual sites (not necessarily 'hosts')

On 11/14/05, George Pitcher <george.pitcher@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It isn't a PHP issue. On IIS, I set a virtual site called 'site_a' and
> specify which folder was going to be used. I then set up another 4 virtual
> sites with their own names and they all point to the same folder. I want to
> know how to do that with Apache2. In time, with some success on the sales
> side, I could have hundreds of sites pointing to this folder. PHP simply
> takes car of serving up the appropriate images, admin details etc on a per
> site basis.

Words like "website" and "virtual site" are incredibly vague and don't
at all describe what you are trying to do.  All I can do is guess.
Perhaps you want four different url-paths that all point to the same
directory, as in:

Alias /site_a /path/to/directory
Alias /site_b /path/to/directory
Alias /site_c /path/to/directory
etc..

Then if you need any particular apache configuration, you can use
<Location /site_a>
config stuff here
</Location>
<Locaiton /site_b>
config stuff here
</Location>
etc..

Your php script can look at the original url-path to determine what
content to serve.

Joshua.