Re: [users@httpd] DOCUMENT_ROOT and mod_vhost_alias

So would I be correct in recommending that the entire paragraph in the apache docs be deleted, or changed to:

"The other thing to `fake' is the DOCUMENT_ROOT.  But you can't do that."   ;)

I get the impression that the author(s) had in mind one or more specific solutions, but for whatever reason did not include them in the docs.  Many scripts and php apps use this variable (to my dismay), and it seems likely that others may have found a fix or implemented a hack to get around the problem.

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome!

-Derek

On 10/16/05, Joshua Slive <jslive@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/16/05, Fury <furiosod@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I'm messing around with mass virutal hosting (found here:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/mass.html), and I'm
> having trouble understanding what's going on with the DOCUMENT_ROOT
> environment variable.

>  So how do I `fake' it?

You can't, as far as I know.

The general opinion has been that DOCUMENT_ROOT is not a useful thing
to support, since it doesn't take into account Aliases, UserDir,
Rewrites, etc.  So CGI scripts shouldn't be using it in the first
place.

Joshua.