[users@httpd] DOCUMENT_ROOT and mod_vhost_alias

Hi,

I'm messing around with mass virutal hosting (found here: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/mass.html), and I'm having trouble understanding what's going on with the DOCUMENT_ROOT environment variable.

>From the page:

"The other thing to `fake' is the document root (configured with DocumentRoot and available to CGIs via the DOCUMENT_ROOT environment variable). In a normal configuration this setting is used by the core module when mapping URIs to filenames, but when the server is configured to do dynamic virtual hosting that job is taken over by another module (either mod_vhost_alias or mod_rewrite) which has a different way of doing the mapping. Neither of these modules is responsible for setting the DOCUMENT_ROOT environment variable so if any CGIs or SSI documents make use of it they will get a misleading value."

So how do I `fake' it?

Thanks for any help!

-Derek