Re: [users@httpd] howto configure parameterised personal cgi bin

On 10/10/05, Andrew Clarke <aclarke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is there no parameter that tells Apache not to go via SUEXEC to run CGI? I'm
> a bit surprised that the only way to stop it (without recompiling it out of
> existence) is by hacking the suexec file. People who install from OS
> bundles are left in the cold otherwise.

suexec is only configurable at compile-time for security reasons.

But you certainly can disable it at runtime, simply by getting rid of
the binary.  The fact that distributors enable it by default is, as
I've said before, a bug in my opinion.

> Now the mode of the users public_html tree must be username:www (my apache
> is running as wwwrun:www) and at least ug+rw if the users CGI is to be
> capable of creating or updating config or data files. I'm comfortable
> setting up a daily cronjob to keep the modes clean, but is ug+rw considered
> risky or acceptable?

No way to answer that question.  It depends entirely on your needs and
your users.

> > To answer your original question, DirectoryIndex can't do substitution
> > like you want.  It could be done with mod_rewrite, but it would be
> > substantially more complicated.
>
> OK. Complicated in the sense that it's difficult even for a master, or
> complicated in the sense that "you can only solve it easily once you are
> fluent with rewrites"?

I would desribe it as an easy to moderately challenging application of
mod_rewrite.  But mod_rewrite is very complicated to begin with.

Joshua.