Re: [users@httpd] howto configure parameterised personal cgi bin

On 10/10/05, Andrew Clarke <aclarke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         DirectoryIndex /~me/mycgi/index.cgi
>
> But of course it will only work for me, not for any other users.
>
> Reasons I'm heading down this path:
>
> The DirectoryIndex directive seems to have a number of weaknesses:
>
> Firstly, to make it work with a script in the generic /cgi-bin I was advised
> to get around the harsh SuEXEC rules by removing the SUID bit
> from /usr/sbin/suexec2 executable. However every time I restart apache, the
> damn thing keeps putting the SUID bit back. I am getting tired of manually
> clearing the SUID bit from that executable, and feel it would be easier to
> just live with the conditions Apache seems to be (rein)forcing at startup.

Apache does *not* put the suid bit back.  This must be something in
your OS.  And as I said before, if you don't understand and have a
particular need for the effects of suexec, you shouldn't be using it.
You can simply rm the darn file.

> DirectoryIndex seems to run the CGI script within the cgi bin directory, NOT
> in the directory you are getting indexed!

This is an expected feature of CGI, as request in the CGI
specification.  As you have figured out, you need to look at the env
variables passed to the script to see what the original request was.

To answer your original question, DirectoryIndex can't do substitution
like you want.  It could be done with mod_rewrite, but it would be
substantially more complicated.

Joshua.