Re: [users@httpd] adding SSL - is a distinct virtual host mandatory?

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:45, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> And good beer at that, I understand :)

It's wet, it's cold, it contains roughly 5% alcohol by volume. What more can
you ask for?

> The 'script tools' that were part of mod_ssl were never folded into
> httpd 2.0, we can kick the idea of reinventing them over on the dev
> list.

I've just achieved lift-off with a key generated by /usr/bin/gensslcert. I
do not know if this is a SuSE special or what, but it has proven that the
ritual I used to create the certificates manually with 'openssl' and the
sign.sh script is flawed, or I did not follow/understand it correctly.

Now I see that gensslcert is a script, and offers some parameters that
allows me to fill in the blanks. However it has a defect where the -Y:
parameter is not listed in the getopts line. Who needs to be notified about
this?	poeml@xxxxxxx is listed at the top of the script...

I'm not new to UNIX and administration, but this has been a bit of a
tail-chase nutting out the SSL. I've experienced similar excitement with a
lot of Open Source software. It's easy to be hypocritical when criticizing
other people's documentation, but there is definitely room for this subject
to be more clearly and precisely documented and tutorialled. Work in
progress is always more fun than writing it down, I know.

Anyway, gentle criticism aside, I've now achieved that goal and will be able
to show something in a meeting tomorrow. That definitely deserves a beer.
Thanks again to everyone who's contributed.
--
Corporate Signatures Suck

--
This email is from Civica Pty Limited and it, together with any
attachments, is confidential to the intended recipient(s) and
the
contents may be legally privileged or contain proprietary and
private information. It is intended solely for the person to
whom
it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, you may
not
review, copy or distribute this email. If received in error,
please
notify the sender and delete the message from your system
immediately. Any views or opinions expressed in this email and
any
files transmitted with it are those of the author only and may
not
necessarily reflect the views of Civica and do not create any
legally binding rights or obligations whatsoever. Unless
otherwise
pre-agreed by exchange of hard copy documents signed by duly
authorised representatives, contracts may not be concluded on
behalf of Civica by email. Please note that neither Civica nor
the
sender accepts any responsibility for any viruses and it is your
responsibility to scan the email and the attachments (if any).
All
email received and sent by Civica may be monitored to protect
the
business interests of Civica.